Monday, 2 February 2009

Well the sewing box is now finished. The first photo shows how tatty and uninspiring it originally was. I wasn't keen at all on the mustard colour satin lining, and the paisley corduroy covering on the outside was faded and grubby. I liked the shape however, and it's a decent size. The outside and inside were recovered using vintage fabrics, even the rick-rack trimming is vintage. I didn't bother keeping the padding under the lid as it would require too much faffing about, and I can cram more into the box with a flat lid!

There was a lot of glueing involved and I found the best glue was Evo-Stik Impact. I ran out of this though and also used Gutermann Creativ Textile glue which performed in much the same way, although the Gutermann glue would be better with lighter coloured fabrics as it dries clear. Both glues are quite smelly and I had to take regular breaks to get fresh air.

The yellow ball feet are large wooden beads screwed into the base, and I've added a felt flower tag to help lift the lid. I'm really pleased with the end result. Whether it will encourage me to do more sewing is another matter!

Friday, 30 January 2009

Here are some of the lampshades that I've recovered using vintage fabrics. I've found that the best lampshades to recover are the cylinder shape that comprises of two rings with a thin plastic inner wrapped around. The outer fabric is usually a thin fabric glued on to the white plastic. This can be peeled off, if you're careful and patient, so that the plastic inner and rings are still intact. I use double sided sticky tape to secure the new fabric onto the shade (just where the plastic overlaps down the side, not all the way round) and then use PVA glue to wrap the fabric around the rings at the top and bottom. The cut edges of the fabric can be tucked up right under the ring to leave a neat rolled edge. I use my thumb nail to do this but a narrow palette knife or something similar should work.

Thursday, 29 January 2009

The felt birdies were made for the Christmas tree last year, but have taken roost on the front room shelf. I took inspiration from this 1970s 'Old Bleach' tea towel that has been turned into a wall hanging. I was really surprised to find that you can still buy pipe cleaners, and in such amazing colours. They make ideal birds legs and crests. I still have a huge pile of felt waiting to be turned into birds, but other projects have stolen my attention for now. I'm rejuvenating a sewing box, recovering a foot-stool and framing a tea towel for the CD cabinet. I will post the results as and when they're finished.

Wednesday, 28 January 2009

I recently bought this tile and I wish I knew who had decorated it. It looks Swedish in style. The tile gives me little clue as to who painted it except, that on the back, there is a mark of what looks like two upside down ticks, that are crossed. The tile was produced by Laufen which is Swiss in origin. I'd be grateful if you could leave a comment if you know, or at least have an inkling, as to who produced this charming scene.

Tuesday, 27 January 2009

The posters in the hallway are a recent addition. Purchased from eBay, they are advertisements for coach travel, probably dating from the late 60s or early 70s. The bright colours and fun graphics really help to brighten up this area.

The lampshade that you can just about see is a cheap lampshade that I stripped down and recovered in a vintage daisy print fabric. Recovering lampshades is a great way to make use of small amounts of vintage fabrics, when you can no longer tolerate making more cushion covers!

Monday, 26 January 2009

It's a hard job to decide how to start a blog, so I've decided to introduce you to a corner of my front room. It's always a work in progress, with the pictures and cushions constantly changing, but it captures quite accurately the kind of vintage patterns, images and objects that get me excited! Some might think it cluttered but I like everything jostling for position and my attention.

The pictures are actually tea towels that are stretched over wooden frames. I collect 60s and 70s tea towels with colourful graphic images to turn into pictures or to cover cupboard doors. I'm making a door for a CD cabinet at the moment, and when finished I will post photos of the result.

I still have two Christmas decorations on display despite February looming up. The white folding paper decoration hanging from the ceiling looks so good I had to leave it where it is. The Alessi nativity pod on the mantelpiece was an extravagant (for us!) purchase over Christmas. I love the look of this piece and can't pack it away just yet. I've got to find something just as groovy to take its place.